A woman’s body has the miraculous ability to give life and provide nourishment to another human being. This is no small feat and requires the body to undergo a host of changes to accommodate this transformation. At the end of our childbearing years, we can see the toll pregnancy and/or breastfeeding have taken on our bodies: loose skin in a multitude of places, sagging breasts, a thicker abdomen, and additional fat that refuses to respond to diet and exercise. At Lickstein Plastic Surgery, we offer Mommy Makeovers – a procedure that can address all of these concerns in just one surgery.
Mommy Makeover Procedures
A Mommy Makeover surgery combines different procedures designed to reverse the effects that pregnancy, breastfeeding and weight fluctuations have on a woman’s body. Because every patient is different, your Mommy Makeover will be customized to meet your unique needs. Dr. Lickstein and his experienced staff at Lickstein Plastic Surgery will listen to your concerns, evaluate your current shape and recommend a treatment plan that is tailored to you. Dr. Lickstein will consider a combination of the following procedures for your Mommy Makeover:
- Breast Augmentation: Weight gain from pregnancy and breastfeeding can cause a woman’s breasts to become larger. However, post-pregnancy and after breastfeeding is complete, breasts are left deflated, with reduced volume and firmness. Breast augmentation uses implants to transform the shape of the breasts, restoring their youthful shape and volume. Breast implants can also be used to add shape and balance in smaller busted patients, creating a more proportional figure.
- Breast Lift: The effects of pregnancy and breastfeeding often leave breasts saggy and stretched. A breast lift returns breasts to their pre-pregnancy position while removing excess skin and reshaping the breasts for beautiful results. Women with small breasts may not need a breast lift; however, most patients benefit from a breast lift in combination with breast augmentation, to restore the natural shape and position of the breasts.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): A tummy tuck targets the area of a woman’s body that experiences the most dramatic expansion and contraction during pregnancy: the abdomen. The tummy tuck procedure lifts and removes the skin below the belly button, pulls down and removes the skin above the belly button, and tightens the stretched and weakened abdominal muscles with permanent sutures. When the abdominal skin is removed, stretch marks are often eliminated, which is another bonus to a tummy tuck. This procedure is transformative, erasing the signs of pregnancy in the abdomen and giving the patient a beautifully contoured, flat abdomen.
- Liposuction: Pregnancy can cause our bodies to collect unwanted fat in certain areas, including the hips, thighs, back, flanks (sides), abdomen and arms. Liposuction can remove this unwanted fat, contouring the body and leaving it looking fit and trim.
While these procedures are the most popular when included in a Mommy Makeover, they are not your only options. Depending on your desired results, Dr. Lickstein will work with you to find the optimal combination that offers the best possible results.
Recovery Time and Downtime
Your Mommy Makeover surgery will be performed in a hospital using general anesthesia. Most patients go home the day of surgery and will need to have someone drive them home and stay with them for the next two days. There will be some discomfort and swelling where the areas were treated during the surgery; however, this is normal and can be managed with pain medication. You will be sent home with a detailed post-op care plan. Following these instructions closely will promote the healing process and decrease your recovery time.
During the recovery period it is important that you don’t do anything that stresses or strains your incisions. Being cautious allows the incisions to heal properly and creates less scarring. Plan to rest and take it easy for the first two weeks following surgery, after which time most patients can return to work. You shouldn’t exercise or perform strenuous activity until at least six weeks post-surgery. You will have follow-up appointments scheduled with Dr. Lickstein in the weeks after your surgery to ensure that you are healing well and that your breast implants, if you opted for them them, are functioning correctly. If you have concerns or questions after surgery, contact Lickstein Plastic Surgery immediately.
Am I a Good Candidate?
The purpose of this procedure is to alter the effects that pregnancy and breastfeeding can have on the body and restore harmony and balance to your body contour. A Mommy Makeover is not intended for weight loss, so it is recommended that you are close to your goal weight before considering surgery. Women who are healthy, finished with childbearing and breastfeeding, and have a BMI of 30 or less are good candidates for a Mommy Makeover.
There are a variety of benefits to a Mommy Makeover:
- Improved confidence
- A more youthful and fit appearance
- Clothing and swimsuits fit more comfortably
- The shape of the body is contoured and more feminine
In addition to the physical and psychological benefits of having a Mommy Makeover, combining multiple procedures into one surgery means less downtime overall and fewer times going under general anesthesia. A multiple-procedure surgery achieves immediately noticeable, dramatic results because several areas of concern are treated simultaneously.
If you want to transform your post-pregnancy body but feel overwhelmed by the multitude of options available to you, rest assured that you have come to the right place. With his education and experience, Dr. Lickstein will listen to your concerns, explain the procedures that will best treat your problem areas and recommend a treatment plan that will help you achieve your desired body contouring goals. A more youthful appearance is just a phone call away. Contact Lickstein Plastic Surgery today at 561-571-4000 to schedule a consultation.